Statutory Electrical Engineer
About Whitehaven Coal
Whitehaven Coal is the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. We help power developed and emerging economies in Asia where there is strong and growing demand for our product, particularly for use in high-efficiency, low-emissions coal-fired power stations. With 20 years of industry experience we have developed a growing reputation for excellence in project delivery and safe, efficient and environmentally responsible operations.
The Role: Statutory Electrical Engineer, Maintenance (Maules Creek, NSW)
The purpose of this role is to provide Statutory Electrical engineering leadership to manage the electrical risks to health and safety for the Maules Creek Coal Mine including the open cut and Coal Handling Preparation Plant in accordance with regulatory requirements.
To be successful in the role you will:
- Maintain and improve the Electrical Engineering Control Plan for the mine
- Maintain and improve the Electrical Standards for the mine
- Audit, review and improve electrical risk management for the life cycle of the electrical plant and electrical installations
- Monitoring and auditing electrical installation work to ensure it complies with Australian Standards
- Provide technical compliance electrical support to the mine
- Participate in mine groups risk assessments as electrical content expert
- Ensure electrical protection, and hazardous area electrical risks are managed and controlled
- Ensure electrical isolation facilities at the mine are fit for purpose to manage the risks
- Manage and maintain the electrical drawings including high voltage and low voltage systems for the mine are current and up to date
- Manage the earthing systems for touch, transfer and step potential at the mine as far as reasonably practicable
- Ensure earth leakage systems on the mine comply and are maintained to the respective legislative and standard requirements
- Ensure electrical arc flash hazards are managed and electrical personal are trained in the controls
- Monitoring the Introduction to Site process for electrical equipment for compliance
- Manage the Electrical Competency and appointment program for the mine
- Ensure that all electrical incidents and accidents are reported and are followed up correctly to minimise and manage risk and oversee investigations where required, ensuring that the Occupational Health and Safety Act is complied with at all times.
- Provide support for inspection and document management of Electrical Statutory Inspections; by developing standard job procedures, organising inspections with 3rd party contractors and maintenance strategy review on CMMS, to comply with Australian Standards and Legal requirements.
The successful applicant will possess the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Practicing Certificate – Electrical engineer of coal mines other than underground mines or Current Certificate of Registration with Engineers Australia NER
- Associate or Technologist or Degree qualification in Electrical Engineering.
- Strong understanding of engineering theories and applications essential.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ in the mining or heavy industry or mineral processing environments with extensive field experience.
- Demonstrated ability in successfully managing Engineering Projects (< $ 1 million).
- Demonstrated ability to diagnose problems and identify potential solutions by thinking out side of the box delivering alternative outcomes.
- Well-developed analytical skills with proven ability to think and act strategically.
Benefits for You
- Full time, permanent position.
- Excellent opportunity for career development.
- Attractive Salary and relocation package.
- Opportunity to work for an Industry leader.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions in the below application, then click Apply;
- Attach your Resume. Please note this is a mandatory requirement of the application process
Whitehaven Coal is committed to increasing the representation of women and Aboriginal people in the workplace. Whitehaven aims for an inclusive workplace that brings both men and women from diverse backgrounds and welcomes applicants who reflect diversity of gender, culture, experience and skills.
In order to be considered for this position you must currently have the right to work in Australia.
Please be advised that in the interest of the health of our employees and visitors, all Whitehaven Coal sites are smoke free.